Now in its seventh edition, this bestselling Handbook for Marine Radio Communication provides an incomparable reference source for all vessels using maritime radio communication systems, which are now a legislative requirement. It includes exhaustive coverage of all UK and international regulations relating to modern maritime communications, such as the crucial GMDSS, all contained within one singular volume.
This edition has been fully updated to account for recent major developments in the field. The authors deliver an authoritative guide to the complicated and changing world of radio communications, including:
• Information refl ecting ITU Radio Regulations 2020
• Impending modernisation of the GMDSS
• Radical changes to maritime satellite communications and associated distress and safety services
• Introduction of VHF data exchange system (VDES) to supplement coastal AIS services
• Introduction of navigational data (NAVDAT) to supplement NAVTEX services
• Improvements to COSPAS/SARSAT systems
• Introduction of AIS facility to EPIRBs
• Automatic link establishment (ALE) on HF bands
• Updating of global navigation satellite systems (GNSS)
• UK explanatory memorandum to the Merchant Shipping (Radiocommunications) (Amendment) Regulations 2021.
This is a definitive guide for today’s maritime communications industry, including ship owners, ship managers, coast guards, seafarers, students of maritime communications, as well as the recreational sector.